Jubilee House is situated on The Crescent in Salford opposite the Salford Art Gallery and Museum. It was built to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria's reign. Work began on it in 1897.
It is a three storey red brick building with mock-Elizabethan gabled ends. A wall-mounted plaque in the entrance hall tells us that it was designed by the architect Henry Lord, and was officially opened by Lady Mottram on 26th January, 1901.
It began life as the Salford Royal Nurses' Home and was where the nurses who were the pioneers to our district nurses resided. Down in the cellar there is a rack where the nurses could place their wet cloaks to dry out. Many of the rooms now used to store books would have been bedrooms.