Furniture, Timber and Allied Trades Union
A brief timeline
1865 - Alliance Cabinet Makers Association formed
1902 - amalgamated with the United Operative Cabinet and Chairmakers Society of Scotland to form the National Amalgamated Furnishing Trades Association (NAFTA). Between 1920-1971 several other unions joined.
1911 - Amalgamated Society of Gilders (1809) and Amalgamated Society of French Polishers (1894) joined.
1947 - amalgamation between the National Amalgamated Furnishing Trades Association and the Amalgamated Union of Upholsterers to form the National Union of Furniture Trade Operatives (NUFTO).
1969 - United French Polishers' Society joined National Union of Furniture Trade Operatives
1970 - Midland Glass Bevellers and Kindred Trades Society joined National Union of Furniture Trade Operatives
1971 - amalgamation of the National Union of Furniture Trade Operatives and the Amalgamated Society of Woodcutting Machinists to form the Furniture, Timber and Allied Trades Union (FTAT).
1978 - National Union of Musical Instrument Makers (1894) joined
1991 - Furniture, Timber and Allied Trades Union merged with the GMB
Furniture and timber unions archives in our collection
Alliance Cabinet Makers Association (TU/FURNA)
- Annual reports, 1872-1901
- Executive Committee minute books, 1876-1901
- Rule books, 1881-1901
- Apprenticeship indenture, membership cards and report from a conference of the Cabinet Trades Alliance and Cabinet Trades Federation.
National Amalgamated Furnishing Trades Association (TU/FURNB)
- Annual reports, 1902-1939 and monthly reports, 1905-1940
- Executive Committee minute books, 1902-1940
- Rule books, 1904-1945
- National labour agreements, 1944-1946
- Other papers including correspondence.
- Branch records including Belfast branch, Birmingham and district, Bristol and the South West, Cheltenham branch, East Midlands Counties, Glasgow and district, High Wycombe and district, Hull district, London district, Manchester and the North West, Northern Ireland, Sheffield district, Sunderland and Yorkshire.
National Union of Furniture Trade Operatives (TU/FURNC)
- Annual reports, 1940-1971 and bulletins and monthly reports, 1946-1970
- General Executive Committee minutes, 1948-1969
- Conference reports, 1949-1971
- Rule books, 1947-1970
- Agreements, national labour agreements and other papers
- Other papers including correspondence and papers relating to membership. Conference reports of the National Federation of Furniture Trade Unions.
- Branch records including Belfast branch, Birmingham and district, Essex branch, Leeds branch, London and district, Long Eaton branch, Northern Ireland, Olney branch, Oxford branch and Tottenham branch.
Furniture Timber and Allied Trades Union (TU/FURND)
- Annual reports, 1971-1976 and monthly reports, 1971-1980
- General Executive Council minutes, 1970-1985
- Conference reports, 1972-1988
- Rule books, 1971-1983
- National labour agreements, 1971-1992
- Membership and other papers including membership cards and correspondence.
- Branch records including minutes of High Wycombe branch and London district and a report of the London district - 'Beneath the veneer'
Amalgamated Union of Upholsterers (TU/FURNE)
- Annual reports, 1907-1947
- Minutes and General Council minutes, 1891-1946
- Rule books, 1913-1939
- Other papers including photographs and membership cards.
- Branch records including Belfast branch, Dublin branch, Liverpool branch, London Branch, Edinburgh branch and Northern Ireland
United French Polisher Society (TU/FURNF)
- Annual reports, 1922-1969
- Minutes of the United French Polishers London Society, Provisional Committee, 1902-1903
- Rule books, 1907-1958
- Working rule agreements and membership cards of the United French Polishers Society
Amalgamated Society of Gilders (TU/FURNG)
- Amalgamated Gilders' Society, London branch: admission and withdrawal of members book, 1856-1921, funeral fund nomination book, 1876-1939 and rule book, 1920
- London Gilders Branch 183: minute book, 1937-1959
- Carvers and Gilders' Society: Asylum Fund Society agreement, 1829 and rules, 1855
National Union of Musical Instrument Makers and Organ Builders Trade Society (TU/FURNH)
- National Union of Musical Instrument Makers rule book, membership cards and Durham branch contribution book, 1955-1978
- Organ Builders Trade Society Executive Committee minute book, Durham district contribution book and Manchester branch account book, 1906-1972
Resources about furniture and timber unions in the Library
Hew Reid, The furniture makers: a history of trade unionism in the furniture trade, 1865-1972 (1986) - Shelfmark: H54
Pat Kirkham, Rodney Mace, Julia Porter, Furnishing the world: the East London furniture trade, 1830-1980 (1987) - Shelfmark: M32
Resources held by the Modern Records Centre
Other records are held at the Modern Records Centre, University of Warwick:
Alliance Cabinet Makers Association (MSS.192/FT/C)
National Amalgamated Furnishing Trades' Association(MSS.192/FT/A)
National Union of Furniture Trade Operatives(MSS.192/FT/O)
Furniture, Timber and Allied Trades Union (MSS.192/FT/T)
Amalgamated Society of Gilders (681)